An infrastructure boom with historic opportunities.
Melbourne’s rapidly expanding population puts it on track to be Australia’s largest city from 2031-2032.1This brings significant opportunities for world-class technology, expertise and design that will transform Melbourne for future generations.
With A$109 billion in announced infrastructure projects and a A$80 billion pipeline of major works already secured for the next decade, the Victorian Government is on the global hunt for innovation that delivers top value for both Victorians and investors.
Join the active list of international partners who are enhancing the infrastructure in Australia's fastest growing state, including Siemens, Plenary, CRRC Changchun Railway Vehicles, Bouygues Construction and Alstom.
1. Centre for Population, 2021 Population Statement, The Australian Government
Once-in-a-generation infrastructure opportunities for foreign companies in Victoria
The Victorian Government is actively inviting foreign investors to participate in an extensive road and rail project pipeline that will deliver system upgrades, new technologies and connections between growing regions. Find out more about opportunities to:
Deliver extensive upgrades to existing assets
- Rail network enhancements, track modifications, station and signalling system upgrades. The Victorian Government is investing in the next generation of rolling stock and providing a continued pipeline of work in partnership with local industry.
- Expand and upgrade Melbourne’s outer suburban road network. Upgrades to Melbourne’s arterial road and freeway network, focusing on congested roads and corridors, will be a key focus over the next five years.
Develop new energy and supply chain technologies
- New technologies that advance the production of low or zero emissions vehicles. Victoria is working to reach net zero emissions by 2050, harnessing innovations from electricity or hydrogen and the development of infrastructure for zero emission vehicles
- Transport and logistics technology. Help deliver the technical solutions required to meet growing network demands, from tracking and supply chain communications network satellites and submarine fibre optic cables
Participate in major works that connect the region
- Design and construction projects that connect regional Victoria. With regional Victoria’s population expected to almost double by 2051, Victoria is investing in transport infrastructure that will connect local families and local communities.
- Major projects that flow to and from neighbouring states and countries. Victoria is the doorway to a robust pipeline of work flowing across Australia and New Zealand, with infrastructure activity at an elevated level for the foreseeable future.
Why invest in Melbourne for your transport infrastructure project?
Project bidding models that encourage diverse investments
Victoria is building big for the future. To help transform Melbourne into a global city of 9 million by 2056, the Victorian Government is offering premium support to foreign investors, with a record project pipeline that requires the world’s best technology, design and construction expertise.
Victoria’s innovative bidding model delivers strong support for international investors, including:
- reduced uncertainty for prospective bidders through early engagement to better understand the barriers to invest
- some opportunities allow for refunding companies portions of their bid costs if they are unsuccessful
- de-risking projects through joint management of project development and use of early works contracts
- Working closely with the Federal Government to secure joint funding
Home to some of the largest infrastructure spends in the region
Equipped with major infrastructure assets, including the largest and busiest container port in Australia, a highly skilled workforce and world-leading R&D hubs, Victoria currently contributes a significant proportion of national infrastructure projects and some of the largest in Australia’s history, including:
- Level Crossings Removal Project: A$8.3 billion project to eliminate 75 level crossings across metropolitan Melbourne by 2025
- Melbourne Airport Rail: Over A$10 billion to connecting Melbourne Airport with all metropolitan and regional rail lines
- Metro Tunnel Project: A$11 billion project on a new rail tunnel under the city to run more trains in and out of the suburbs
- North East Link Program: A$16 billion tunnel link connecting Melbourne’s freeway network while increasing capacity of the Eastern Freeway
- West Gate Tunnel Project: A $6.7 billion project to improve travel to and from Melbourne’s west
- Regional Rail Revival: Over A$4 billion so far has been dedicated to ongoing major upgrades across every regional passenger line in Victoria
- Suburban Rail Loop: New funding of $9.3 billion towards major works on Suburban Rail Loop East.
The Victorian Government is investing in the next round of projects
- Melbourne Intermodal Terminal: A$2 billion infrastructure build based in the Docklands Precinct to support existing and future rail services
- a massive $1.5 billion investment in rolling stock to make public transport journeys more comfortable and reliable
- $986 million to support the design, construction and maintenance of 25 brand new X’Trapolis 2.0 trains
- $367.5 million investment in infrastructure for the Next Generation Trams, including a dedicated tram maintenance facility, which will start rolling out on the network in 2025
- A$179.4 million to develop infrastructure around Fisherman’s Bend, placing this innovation hub at the global forefront of advanced manufacturing, engineering and design
Tap into an industry with highly-skilled and globally-experienced manufacturing, engineering and technology talent
Victoria is home to:
- advanced manufacturing capabilities driven by the expertise of Australia’s largest manufacturing sector, which provides 31 per cent of the country’s manufacturing output and employs 300,000 people
- more engineering and related technology and IT graduates in 2019 than any other region in Australia or Singapore3
- the largest pool of Automotive Engineers in Australia. It also has a larger pool, with a higher growth rate than Singapore while being under less hiring demand3
- a greater pool of Aerospace Engineers than NSW and Queensland combined. This is also greater than twice the size of Singapore’s pool, with the same growth rate3
- institutions partnering with industry to deliver transport-related courses, including RMIT University’s Master in Transport Systems Engineering and Victoria University’s Graduate Certificate in Transport Systems and The Rail Academy, one of Australia’s leading rail training facilities
3. Linkedin Jobs Insights Report Sept 2020
Download our transport infrastructure value proposition
We can help you develop advanced research partnerships at world-leading R&D hubs
- Companies can access world leading research and development partnership opportunities and develop innovative technology and transport system solutions with University of Melbourne, Victoria University, RMIT University, Monash University and Deakin University
- The Australian Centre for Infrastructure Durability (ACID) connects industry with leading researchers and facilities in Australia
- The Rail Manufacturing CRC supports the development of products, technologies and supply chain networks to enhance the competitiveness of Australia’s rail manufacturing industry.
- Building 4.0 CRC is helping drive the industry into an efficient and connected future. This will deliver better buildings and infrastructure at lower cost.
- Victoria has in excess of 25 advanced manufacturing research centres as well as several Research Hubs
Invest Victoria together with the Suburban Rail Loop present an industry briefing on opportunities for companies to participate in the build of the Suburban Rail Loop in Melbourne.
Suburban Rail Loop Industry Briefing - December 2021
We can help you with you next market entry project
If you are considering investing in Melbourne, we can help you scope the market opportunity in Melbourne/Australia and assist you with your business case development.
Working with us will allow you to be fully informed and limit the number of surprises associated with your new investment. Our staff are experienced and well connected and can introduce you to potential partners to help make your investment a success.
|UK and Europe |
contact Tim Dillon
Agent General, UK
|US enquiries |
contact Nigel Warren
|SE Asia enquires |
contact Rebecca Hall
South East Asia
|All other enquiries |
contact Craig Harrison
Or go to our All Offices page to find your nearest Invest Victorian representative.