Tap into highly skilled talent
Melbourne has more skilled professionals than many of its regional peers across evolving and critical sectors.
Victoria has the fastest growing digital technology sector in Australia, with over 166,000 tech professionals and almost a third of the country’s software engineers, significantly outpacing the growth of New South Wales and Queensland.
Investors in Victoria have access to a deep tech talent pool with more with Software Development and Cloud Computing professionals than other jurisdictions across the APAC region, including Singapore and Hong Kong1. Victoria’s world-class education has also produced more Engineering related technology and IT graduates than anywhere else in Australia2 or Singapore3.
Victoria has a growing talent pool in the new energy sector, with more skilled professionals in renewable energy, sustainability and energy than any other jurisdiction in Australia.
Victoria employs over 146,000 people in agriculture production and food manufacturing. Among the top five skills in this sector, Victoria has more professionals skilled in fast-moving consumer goods, product development and manufacturing than New South Wales and Queensland.
Victoria’s third largest employer, manufacturing employs more than 283,000 people. Victoria has the most skilled professionals in manufacturing in Australia and a high number of engineering professionals in the advanced manufacturing sector.
Health and life sciences
Victoria’s thriving health and life sciences sector is home to over 90,000 life science professionals, the largest body of any state and over a third of the sector’s Australian workforce.
1. LinkedIn Talent Insights, September 2020.
2. Department of Education, Skills and Employment 2020
3. Data.gov.sg: Enrolment and Graduates by course 2020
Melbourne is home to Australia’s highest ranked university and is the only Australian city with universities in the world’s top 50
Melbourne’s world-class university sector is a driving force of business growth and innovation, with a skill-base deeper than anywhere else in Australia. We produce highly skilled talent from a diverse range of world-class institutions, including Monash University, La Trobe University, Victoria University, Deakin University, RMIT University, Swinburne University of Technology, Federation University and MCD University of Divinity.
- The University of Melbourne and Monash University are the only two Australian universities to rank in the world’s top 501
- The University of Melbourne is the highest ranked university in Australia1
- Victoria’s universities have outstanding employability outcomes, with The University of Melbourne, Monash University and RMIT ranked in global Top 100 and the University of Melbourne ranking 8th in the world.2
- Melbourne Business School is ranked as the highest MBA in Australia.3
- Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2023
- QS World University Rankings, Graduate Employability Rankings 2022
- The Economist MBA Rankings 2022
Mid-career talent with transferrable skills ripe for upskilling
Melbourne’s highly skilled educated workforce offers a pool of mid-career professionals with transferable skills that can be quickly upskilled to meet industry and business needs. The Victorian Government is supporting this focus through initiatives such as the Digital Jobs program, which is training and upskilling mid-career Victorians so they can transition into digital careers and join the state’s thriving digital workforce.