Alibaba established an Australia and New Zealand regional headquarter in Melbourne CBD.
(CHINA 2016) Alibaba, the world's largest eCommerce company has a large Australian and New Zealand customer base, and 2,700 Australian and New Zealand brands are sold through its online B2C retail channels. Blackmores, a2 Milk, Jurlique, Fonterra and Penfolds are all using the platform, with Wooworths selling their home brand products via Tmall, and Australia Post via the Chinese-only business-to-business site 1688.com.
The new Melbourne office will help support the Australian and New Zealand companies already on its site, as well as expand its network throughout the region.
Alibaba settled on Melbourne as it provided:
- Proximity to suppliers, in particular food processing suppliers in segments such as dairy, snack foods and wine;
- Access to big retail brands that could be customers, such as Chemist Warehouse and Australia Post;
- Well developed logistics for road, port and air for suppliers to import or export to China. Alibaba will have the ability to reach 80% of the population in 24 hours by road.
- PAccess to Tasmanian customers and good logistics for Tasmanian suppliers.
Invest Victoria has provided outstanding support assisting Alibaba in establishing its local Australian and New Zealand headquarters
They provided comprehensive market insights and research to enable Alibaba Group to develop a business case when selecting the location of its new office
Director Corporate Affairs and Marketing
- Market information and data on suppliers as potential customers
- Introduction to food suppliers and Australia Post
- Information on cost of logistics and costs to establish a presence
- Business case development support