(US 2017) IBM has a long established history in Victoria. It recognises the talent and capability here and endeavours to develop strong working relationships with Victorian institutions to further enhance Victorian technology capability to meet the growing demand for highly skills workers.
Collaborative activities include:
- Partnerships with Federation University the City of Ballarat and the State Government to establish the Ballarat Technology Park (1997). IBM was a foundation tenant.
- Partnered with Federation University to ensure a robust employment ready talent pipeline for its IBM Tech Support Centre at Ballarat Technology Park. Today it offers an IBM Bachelor of Business scholarship program through Federation Business School, which combines a paid scholarship, work experience and mentoring all in the one program.1
- Partnership with Melbourne University to establish the IBM Research Lab (2010). One of IBM’s 12 global research labs, the lab combines research and development in the areas of AI, IoT, and cyber security to conceive, design and build next-generation systems that will transform health and life sciences, analytics, resource management, and financial services.2
- Partnership with Melbourne University to establish the IBM Research Collaboratory for Life Sciences-Melbourne (2014), a five year collaboration which is housed at the University of Melbourne's Victorian Life Sciences Computation Initiative (VLSCI).
- Collaboration with Deakin University to establish the Centre for Excellence in Business Analytics(2012) and an industry certification IBM Analytics to expand and strengthen student skills and understanding of big data analytics in order to meet growing demand. Part of IBM’s Academic Initiative, IBM provides access to the latest advances in technology and business expertise, as well as course curriculum materials, case studies.4
- Welcomed University of Melbourne as a founding Member of IBM Q Network (2017) to access commercial quantum computing systems. IBM Q network is a collaboration of the world's leading Fortune 500 companies, academic institutions and national research labs to explore potential practical quantum applications. This connects Victorian researcher with global talent. 3
- Federation Business School - https://federation.edu.au/schools/federation-business-school/about-us/future_pages/scholarships,-programs-and-awards/ibm-professional-practice-scholarship-program
- IBM Research - http://research.ibm.com/labs/australia/