Victoria's relationship with Japan
Victoria has a long standing and strong bi-lateral relationship with Japan and it is the most mature in Asia. The relationship is underpinned by a shared commitment to democracy, human rights and the rule of law, as well as common approaches to international security.
We share deep and longstanding trade and investment ties. Japan was Australia's second-largest trading partner and second-largest export market, and third-largest source of foreign direct investment at the end of 2019.
Victorian Trade and Investment Offices
Supporting our relationship, the Victorian Government has an office in Tokyo which plays a vital role in the facilitation of trade, investment and the establishment of people to people links and partnerships between the two regions.
Japan-Australia Economic Partnership Agreement
The Japan-Australia Economic Partnership Agreement (JAEPA) provides valuable access for Australia's exporters and will support further two-way investment. JAEPA entered into force in January 2015.
For more information please refer to The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP)
The Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP) is a free trade agreement (FTA) signed on 8 March 2018 between Australia, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Peru, New Zealand, Singapore and Vietnam.
For more information please refer to The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade;
- Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP) Free Trade Agreement
- Small and Medium-sized Enterprises and the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP)
- Guide to using CPTPP to export and import goods
- Exporter and importer frequently asked questions
- CPTPP outcomes including fact sheets
- Victoria sister-state relationship with Aichi prefecture (est 1980)
- City of Melbourne sister-city relationship with Melbourne and Osaka (est 1978)
- City of Glen Eira sister-city relationship with Ogaki, gifu
- City of Whitehorse sister-city relationship with Matsudo, Chiba Est 1971)
- City of Hobsons Bay sister-city relationship with Anjo City (est 1994)
- City of Port Philip sister-city relationship with Obu City (est 1993)
- City of Wyndham sister-city relationship with Chiryu City (est 2000)
- City of Frankston sister-city relationship with Susono City, Shizuoka (est 1982)
- Latrobe City sister-city relationship with Takasago City, Hyogo (est 2000)
- Macedon Ranges sister-city relationship with Tokai city (est 2014)
- Greater Shepparton sister-city relationship with Toyooka City (est 1979)
- Greater Shepparton sister-city relationship with Oshu City, Iwate (est 2003)
- Greater Shepparton Toyoake, Aichi Japan (est 2003)
- Ballarat sister-city relationship with Inakawa-cho, Hyogo Japan (est 1988)
- Glenelg (Portland) sister-city relationship with Uchiura-machi, Oshima
- Greater Geelong sister-city relationship with Izumiostu, Osaka Japan (est 1992)
- Mildura sister-city relationship with Kumatori, Osaka (est 2001)
- Mitchell sister-city relationship with Honbetsu-cho, Hokkaido (est 1991)
- Moira sister-city relationship with Katsuyama-mura, Yamanashi
- Swan Hill sister-city relationship with Yamagata, Yamagata (est 1980)
- Warrnambool sister-city relationship with Miura, Kanagawa (est 1992)
- Port of Melbourne sister-port relationship with Port of Yokohama (est 1986)
- Port of Melbourne sister-port relationship with Port of Osaka
We can help you with your next market entry project
If you are considering investing in Melbourne, we can help you scope the market opportunity in Melbourne/Australia and assist you with your business case development.
Working with us will allow you to be fully informed and limit the number of surprises associated with your new investment. Our staff are experienced and well connected and can introduce you to potential partners to help make your investment a success.
Japan enquiries contact Adam Cunneen
Commissioner for Victoria to North Asia
Or go to our All Offices page to find your nearest Invest Victorian representative.