Economic indicators

Victorian economy at a glance

Victoria is a mid-sized economy that is larger than Singapore, New Zealand and most of South East Asia. The Victorian state economy has experienced strong growth over the last decade, increasing by an average of 2.4% annually over the ten years to June 2017.1 This is well above the International Monetary Fund figure of 1.9% average annual growth for developed countries over this same period.

Victoria accounts for 3% of Australia's land mass and 23% of Australia's total Gross Domestic Product (GDP)1. Around  3.2 million people are employed in Victoria4, which is 26% of all employed workers in Australia.  The Victorian economy is a significant exporter of goods and services and was responsible for A$ 28.9 and A$ 29.5billion, respectively ( over 25.6), of Australia's export of services in 2016-17.7 In total, our state economy generated A$399.0 billion in Gross State Product (GSP) in 2016-17.1

Victoria has 6.4 million people or 25% of Australia's population.2 The state economy will continue to benefit from on-going population growth. The  Australian Bureau of Statistics forecasts Victoria's population to reach between 10 million and 12 million people by 2060. Melbourne is predicted to be Australia's largest city as early as 2030 with a population of 6.1 million.

Economic Indicators

Victorian economy at a glance1

Indicator

Measure

Date

VIC

VIC
% of AUS

NSW

NSW
% of AUS

QLD

QLD
% of AUS

AUS

Gross state product (GSP)1

A$ (bn)

2016-17

399.0

23.6

557.9

33

308.7

18.2

1,692(GDP)

GSP annual growth rate1

%

2016-17

3.3

-

2.9

-

1.8

-

2.0 (GDP)

GSP av. annual growth rate1

%

2008-17

2.4

-

2.4

-

2.4

-

2.7 (GDP)

Land mass

km2
(million)

 

0.23

3.0

0.8

10.4

1.7

22.5

7.7

Population2

million

Sep-17

6.4

24.9

7.9

30.1

4.9

19.1

25.7

Population growth2

% (YoY)

Mar-17

2.4

-

1.6

-

1.7

-

1.6

Population density3

per km2

June-17

28

-

10

-

2.8

-

3.2

Employment
(seasonally adjusted)4

million

Mar-18

3.2

25.8

3.9

31.4

2.5

20.1

12.4

Unemployment rate (seasonally adjusted)5

%

Mar-18

5.3

-

4.9

-

6.4

-

5.5

Capital City Inflation rate (CPI)6

annual % change

Mar-18

5.3

-

4.9

-

6.4

-

1.9

Exports Merchandise(goods)8

A$ (billion)

2016-17

28.9

8.7

50.5

15.2

75.8

22.9

330.5

Exports (services)7

A$ (billion)

2016-1

20.9

25.6

33.9

41.6

13.2

16.2

81.6

Scroll for more content
line
line


Sources:

  1. ABS, cat. no. 5220.0, (released Nov  2017)
  2. ABS, cat. no. 3101.0, (released March 2018)
  3. ABS, cat. no. 3218.0, (released Mar 2018)
  4. ABS, cat. no. 6291.0.55.003, (released April 2018)
  5. ABS, cat. no. 6202.0, (released May 2018)
  6. ABS, cat. no. 6401.0, (released March 2018)
  7. DFAT, Country Fact Sheets, 2016-17
  8. 8.  ABS, cat. no. 5368.0 (released March 2018)