Melbourne is a premier location for clinical trials, building on a strong foundation of talent, world-class infrastructure and a vibrant culture of collaboration. Melbourne's international reputation for superior quality and cost competitiveness is based on its strong base of highly skilled professionals, a concentration of world-class research institutes and Victoria's robust intellectual property and efficient regulatory system.
One-third of Australian clinical trials activity takes place in Victoria. Pharmaceutical companies recognise Australia's impressive capability and many have chosen to undertake trials here.
Victoria is home to highly experienced clinicians and can facilitate access to both patients and 'trial-ready' infrastructure.
Victoria adheres to the highest level of Good Clinical Practice (GCP) standards, with Australian clinical data and results accepted by international regulatory agencies, including the US Food and Drug Administration and European Medicines Agency.
Australia's CTN Scheme provides an expedited regulatory pathway for Phase I trials, with 99 per cent able to begin within a week of registration.
- Highly skilled workforce
- Simple and efficient regulatory regime
- R&D tax incentives
- Culturally diverse population
- Complimentary seasonal and time zone differences
- Low cost, high-quality location
- Nine world-class universities, 10 teaching hospitals and more biotech firms than any other Australian state
- International reputation for R&D
- Enabling infrastructure
- Robust intellectual property system
Ideal location to conduct a broad range of clinical trials
Large clinical trials and cohort studies that showcase the credentials of Victoria's capability include:
- START (STroke imAging pRevention and Treatment): The START study is collecting and analysing information from 200 stroke victims. Integrating imaging and biomarker analysis to identify patients at risk of stroke and stroke recurrence, the aim is to develop preventative measures.
- ASPREE (ASPirin in Reducing Events in the Elderly): ASPREE is a longitudinal study led by Monash University to determine whether regular, low-dose aspirin extends disability-free survival in elderly people.
Clinical trials expertise
Best practice clinical trials networks and centres throughout Victoria ensure access to volunteers and fit-for-purpose infrastructure led by world leading clinicians.
Cancer Trials Australia (CTA) offers a combination of clinical and research skills, access to state
of the art clinical trial diagnostic and monitoring equipment and centralised administration of clinical trials in medical oncology, haematology and bone marrow transplantation.
- Nucleus Network is an FDA audited, ANVISA accredited, dedicated phase I clinical trials organisation with extensive experience in first in human, proof of concept, pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic, TQTc, bioequivalence, drug or food interaction studies and biosimilar and vaccine trials.
- Neuroscience Trials Australia – Neuroscience Trials Australia is a niche contract research organisation specialising in neuroscience clinical research.